[GRLUG] wep in linux

Collin adderd at kkmfg.com
Mon Feb 20 14:58:37 EST 2006

Doesn't windows let you get your wep key too? Even if it starred it out
there are PLENTY of utilities that unstar password fields so that you
can see what is in them. Some programs are wise to that and don't
actually fill in the field w/ the right data but most do.

Either you can trust the students or you can't. Windows knows the WEP
key and so the determined can get it even on windows. Also, airsnort,
weblab, etc are a cracker's best friend. WEP tends to be a joke. Any of
those linux users could have the key anyway if they really wanted.
Basically they are ok with giving the windows people the key but not the
linux people? That's sort of stupid and not effective (for the reasons
outlined above.)