[GRLUG] ubuntu/kubuntu boot issues

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 11:06:02 EST 2006

Sorry about the late response, cable went out while downloading the iso...

Steps you should be able to handle yourself

- download installtion iso for your arch
- burn it (or)
- boot it (virtually or not)

Step by step

- press [enter] at the boot menu
- press [enter] (English is already selected)
- press [enter] (United States is already selected)
- press [enter] (American English is already selected)
- press [enter] (or provide an alternate hostname and press [enter])

At this point, because I already have partitions on my disk, Ubuntu
offers to resize the largest partition on my primary ide drive and
install into the empty space provided.  That is the default option.
Also provided are 'erase the entire disk', 'erase the entire disk and
use LVM' and 'manually edit partition table'.  You don't want to erase
the disk, so select 'manually edit partition table' at which point you
are give the options 'configure software raid', 'configure lvm',
'guided partitioning', 'help on partitioning', and an individually
selectable list of all the partitions currently on your drive.  Let's
select a partition and press [enter]...  Upon doing that, I'm
presented with the available options for the type of partition
selected, and 'done setting up this partition', 'copy data from
another partition', and 'delete the partition'.

So at this point, you can delete partitions, create new ones (by
selecting [free space] instead of a partition), move data between
partitions, adjust partition properties, and there are even handy
options that explain all of this in a much more convienient and
somewhat less annoyed manner...

I fail to see why this is hard.

Note that resizing partitions is somewhat outside the scope of the
Ubuntu installer...  Windows XP can't resize my ext3 partitions nor do
I expect it to.  If you'd like to resize a partition before installing
ubuntu use your partition resizing application of choice.

It's somewhat disturbing to see such a prominently displayed help
option being ignored repeatedly...

--tim