[GRLUG] multi-monitor desktop

David Pembrook david at pembrook.net
Fri Feb 17 10:52:21 EST 2006

Roberto Villarreal wrote:
> David Pembrook wrote:
>

>> slightly off topic:
>>
>> I've got to get on a Linux GUI soon as my CLI skill would improve so
>> much if I was on one all the time. Any thoughts on KDE vs Gnome for
>> multi monitor users? I go overboard on that (4 at moment. 3 head Matrox
>> card and a single). I'm game for a different window manager if its well
>> documented and good for control freaks.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> I have used KDE and IceWM in multi-monitor setups (2 and 3 head).  If it
> matters, I've only used Xinerama (for both XFree and Xorg).  Both work
> wonderfully; KDE has special settings available for multi-monitor use.
> Last I knew, IceWM didn't treat multi-monitor setups as being special
> (but I always cheated and used the GUI config tool, which to my
> understanding, is less powerful than the actual config files).  I can't
> vouch for Gnome... I'll stop the flames before they start and just say I
> don't use it :-D.

Last time I tried dual monitors on Linux (Suse 9.3 i think). I had to go
the driver config samples and do it by hand. My whole problem going GUI
on Linux is getting all this hardware to work nice. Half the time its a
pain just getting proper mfg drivers installed for one monitor
(especially ati on suse), though nvidia is usually pretty easy. I should
say its a pain if you don't understand the x config files. After hand
editing them last time, it should be a lot better the next time. I've
got Suse 10 DVD's dying to get used (ya then I get into 64 bit issues...
it never ends.. but at least I CAN run 64bit).
> Also, what kind of Matrox card are you using?  Sounds like something I
> need (beats using up three valuable PCI slots...).

I'm using a Parhelia AGP card. Its a bit dated for windows gaming as its
dx8 hardware, 9 in software but excellent for 2d use. I can get Wolf ET
spanning across 3 monitors at 1024x768 (each) and still do 40fps+, 210
degree field of view is something to see! (they call it cheating and
boot me from the server LOL)

I've got an NVidia 6800GS on its way, so I might be willing to part with
the matrox card (I hate to see good hardware collect dust). The new card
is dual head so I'll need a dual head pci card which can be had for
under $100. I've done it your way on 3 monitors.. you fill slots quick.