[GRLUG] multi-monitor desktop (was: ubuntu/kubuntu boot issues)

Roberto Villarreal rvillarreal at mktec.com
Fri Feb 17 10:29:32 EST 2006

David Pembrook wrote:

> slightly off topic:
>
> I've got to get on a Linux GUI soon as my CLI skill would improve so
> much if I was on one all the time. Any thoughts on KDE vs Gnome for
> multi monitor users? I go overboard on that (4 at moment. 3 head Matrox
> card and a single). I'm game for a different window manager if its well
> documented and good for control freaks.
>
> Dave

I have used KDE and IceWM in multi-monitor setups (2 and 3 head).  If it
matters, I've only used Xinerama (for both XFree and Xorg).  Both work
wonderfully; KDE has special settings available for multi-monitor use.
Last I knew, IceWM didn't treat multi-monitor setups as being special
(but I always cheated and used the GUI config tool, which to my
understanding, is less powerful than the actual config files).  I can't
vouch for Gnome... I'll stop the flames before they start and just say I
don't use it :-D.

Also, what kind of Matrox card are you using?  Sounds like something I
need (beats using up three valuable PCI slots...).

Roberto