[GRLUG] ubuntu/kubuntu boot issues

David Pembrook david at pembrook.net
Fri Feb 17 10:09:14 EST 2006

I've done the net install of Debian in a VM several times and that went
perfectly on non initialized hard drives and I'm a Redhat guy lol (was
anyhow before the Fedora thing.. I won't comment on Fedora).

Why don't they just use VM's anyhow? Several of the Live CD's work good
that way in full GUI, not sure what full blown distros are good for GUI
(I use CLI almost exclusively on Linux). The free vmware player and some
stock vm's and they are all set. They can get a trial on vmware
workstation to build their vm's and use the player after it expires.

The dual boot thing has always been a pain and my solution (the short
version) on the desktop is to switch in the bios which HD to boot from,
XP ignores the Linux partions and is Linux is installed on the first HD,
you can plug in the Windows HD after the Linux install (I don't trust
either op system to handle dual booting).

slightly off topic:

I've got to get on a Linux GUI soon as my CLI skill would improve so
much if I was on one all the time. Any thoughts on KDE vs Gnome for
multi monitor users? I go overboard on that (4 at moment. 3 head Matrox
card and a single). I'm game for a different window manager if its well
documented and good for control freaks.

Dave