[GRLUG] ubuntu/kubuntu boot issues

Topher topher at wcsg.org
Fri Feb 17 10:04:14 EST 2006

> Ummm...  Yeah.  If you had selected the option to 'erase and
> automatically partition the disk' it would have worked fine.

Except I don't *want* to erase the disk.  I want to be able to preserve an
existing partition.

> Alternatively, choosing 'manually edit the partition table' dumps you
> into a partitioning interface which is markedly similar to Windows XP
> setup's.

My only options in the manual section were to manually create RAID, or
LVM, or go back to guided, which would erase entire disk and install RAID
or LVM.

> Create a bootable partition mounted on / formatted as ext2, ext3,
> reiserfs, jfs, or xfs and your machine should work fine.  LVM, RAID,
> swap partitions, etc. are all strictly optional.  If you'd like a
> step-by-step walkthrough through partitioning I can do that later
> today...

Go for it.

> Seriously though...  Ubuntu's (and hence Debian's) partitioner is not an
> ounce more complicated than redhat's, mandriva's, suse's or
> microsoft's...

Maybe it's a version issue?  It was actually the latest Kubuntu, could
they have old stuff?