[GRLUG] ubuntu/kubuntu boot issues

Topher topher at wcsg.org
Fri Feb 17 09:33:13 EST 2006

Ok, I'm going to try to remember everything I did last night, we'll see if
it works.

I (tried) install Ubuntu in VMWare last night.  This was actually my fist
experience running Linux in a VM, in the past it's always been XP.

It went fine until I got to the partitioning stuff, which was NOT
intuitive.  My options were software raid, or LVM, niether of which I
really wanted, but there were no other options.  I also didn't have an
option to see an existing partition table.  This could be because there
wasn't one, but I was hoping to see an option, since on my student laptops
I need to preserve the windows partition.  So my only option was to wipe
the (virtual) drive.

I ended up picking LVM.  It dove right in installing stuff like ubuntu
does, and then came to a point where it said the kernel could not be
installed on the existing partition, and if I continue, the whole thing
will fail.

My students confirmed that this happens every time.

So at this point I'd have to say Ubuntu isn't as easy to install as redhat
4.2 was.  :(

I fully expect cries of shock and outrage, but there just weren't that
many options.

Topher
Manager of Internet Services
Cornerstone University Radio

------
"The dogs bark, but the caravan passes on."
                         -- Arab saying