[GRLUG] Studying for the RHCE exam

Szymon Machajewski SMachaje at grcc.edu
Mon Feb 13 14:11:17 EST 2006

I've taken both RHCT and RHCE on 3 and 4 versions.
I would strongly suggest knowing the grub.conf, inittab config files.
Each line, field, what they do.

Most likely you will start with the box not booting.  So knowing the
boot loader will help to give you confidence for the rest of the test.
For RHCE make sure to review config files for apache, squid, dhcp, RAID
(software).  Make sure to be comfortable with man pages.  You will have
those available.

The sytem is usually broken through config, so make sure that you don't
break it for good by fixing the wrong thing.  don't touch fdisk unless
you have to ..

Talking about specific questions or tasks is forbidden by the AUA they
have you sign.  Overall, take your time.  There is enough time to double
think your tasks.

Sincerely,

Szymon Machajewski

Solutions Engineer / DBA
Grand Rapids Community College
http://www.grcc.edu/smachaje

"If we are to survive, we must have ideas, vision and courage.
 These things are rarely produced by committees.
 Everything that matters in our intellectual and moral life
 begins with an individual confronting his own mind and conscience
 in a room by himself."

     -- Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.

>>> albert.tobey at priority-health.com 02/13/06 12:15 PM >>>
Read this thread:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/taroon-list/2004-April/msg00281.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/taroon-list/2004-April/msg00314.html

There have been various threads on the RHEL3 (taroon) and RHEL4
(nahant)
mailing lists over the last couple years about the RHCE.   Some
extensive searching on those lists will provide you with a lot of
knowledge of both the RHCE and of RHEL[34].

-Al

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 11:53 -0500, Matthew Whitaker wrote:
> Hello all -
> 	I am planning on taking RedHat's RHCE test this April and am
> currently working on preparing myself as much as I can for it.  Are
any
> members of the LUG RHCE's or has anyone taken the test, and if so,
what
> would you recommend to prepare for it?
>
> I am not looking for a brain-dump or anything like that, just some
> advice on what best to do to prepare.  Is it best to simply fiddle
with
> a system, break thing and then fix them?  Are there any study guides
> that others have found helpful?  Should I set up a system and have a
> co-worker break it and then try to figure it out and fix it?  I have
> fair amount of Linux experience, but just want to make sure that I
walk
> into the test as ready as I can be.
>
> Any thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
>
> Matt Whitaker

** ** **  PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL  ** ** **
This email transmission contains privileged and confidential
information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named
above.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited and may be a violation of law.  If you are not the intended
recipient or a person responsible for delivering this message to an
intended recipient, please delete the email and immediately notify the
sender via the email return address or
mailto:postmaster at priority-health.com.  Thank you.

- end -