[GRLUG] BIOS problems

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 19:25:48 EST 2006

On 2/7/06, Tim Schmidt <timschmidt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> The error you're seeing 'BIOS checksum error' most likely does not
> mean that your BIOS is 'bad'.  It generally refers to the settings the
> BIOS is capable of changing and storing in volatile battery-backed ram
> on the motherboard itself.  The so-called CMOS data...  I'd need more
> information about your problems to help specifically with runtime
> errors your having, but CMOS checksum errors are generally caused by a
> failing battery which can be replaced for between $0.50 and $5.00.
> Just pop out the old one (usually looks like a large watch battery)
> and take it to the local computer shop or jewler.

   Best news I've had today.  I'll give this a whirl.    The battery is only
   about two years old,  but things do happen.

As far as general motherboard troubleshooting goes, It helps if you
> strip the machine of all non-essential parts (cards, drives, extra RAM
> modules, etc) and stress the system that way (I find a good kernel
> compile or two to be by far the best at catching spurious RAM and CPU
> problems -- better than memtest86 and the like -- if you get a
> segfault, you have problems).  So long as the bare board works fine,
> add components one by one and re-test after each addition to pinpoint
> the problem.
>
> Feel free to send more information if you like, I could then give you
> some more detailed things to test.
>
> --tim

    Great offer.  Let me change the battery and see what happens.  I can
    take it another step,  if need be,  after that.

    Thanks for the tips.

          -Bob