[GRLUG] BIOS problems

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 01:36:55 EST 2006

"BIOS ROM checksum error."   I've got a motherboard that's been acting
flakyI.  One rare occasions it boots,
but doesn't stay running for long.  On most other occasions I get the
checksum error message.

I've looked on Google for the error message,  and it can mean a lot of
things.

* I have replaced the memory with a few different units,  and that does
nothing.

* I reloaded the default values ( I hope ),  and that didn't fix anything.

The motherboard is not very old,  and is a good one,  so I hate to give up
too easily, but
this kind of thing can also make one grow old faster.  I think it's the
first time I've actually
had trouble with an ASUS board,  out of perhaps a half dozen of them over
the years.

Depending on cost,  I suppose I could upgrade (  read replace ) the BIOS if
it makes any
economic sense.  Clearly I can't update it over the Internet.

So one question would be whether anyone here on the list knows of a place
local to GR
that has the facilities and licenses to sell me a replacement BIOS?   The
device itself
shouldn't cost much,  and pops right out for replacement.

How does one doe this?   Do you have to bring the old one in,  to prove you
have a board?
Are there any advantages to just dealing with ASUS directly?  Usually that's
not the case.

Anyway,  this is probably a rather specialized,  and I hope rare,  problem,
but if anyone
here has any information or suggestions I'd appreciate hearing them.

   -Bob