[GRLUG] multiple things

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 13:36:28 EST 2006

On 12/30/06, eah <darth_linux at ameritech.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I suggest we have a hardware page where we list the stuff that works well with
> Linux and where it can be purchased locally (GR and greater area).
>
> More to the point (for me) what web cams do people use/like? I lost my
> quickcam and have been thinking of getting a new one.

I've got an ancient B/W quickcam lying around somewhere.  Give me a
few months and I can find it. :)

> Does anyone know how to cycle a laptop battery in Linux? My battery cant last
> more than 30 min and I'd like to recover some of its life. I cant hibernate
> in Fedora core 6.

To my knowledge, lithium-ion batteries (the kind that laptops use)
don't have the same "memory" issues that NiCd or NiMH batteries have.
In addition, if you were to completely drain a lithium-ion battery, it
would become useless; such batteries need to keep at least a small
charge in order to be able to be further charged.  Laptop batteries
have circuitry in them that works to this end.