[GRLUG] multiple things

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 13:34:32 EST 2006

On 12/30/06, eah <darth_linux at ameritech.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I suggest we have a hardware page where we list the stuff that works well with
> Linux

It's been attempted by many with more resources than us...  there are
plenty of good reasons it doesn't work.

> and where it can be purchased locally (GR and greater area).

One of which is that we don't have real-time inventory information for
retailers...  assuming they even know what they have (which, in the
case of companies changing components without a SKU change - as
happens often - is quite unlikely).

> More to the point (for me) what web cams do people use/like? I lost my
> quickcam and have been thinking of getting a new one.

That's a good question.  I hate my D-Link DSB-C310.  Here might be a
good place to start:

http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Webcams

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion

    * Unlike Ni-Cd batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged
early and often. However, if they are not used for a longer time, they
should be brought to a charge level of around 40%. Lithium-ion
batteries should never be "deep-cycled" like Ni-Cd batteries.[3]
    * Li-ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in
a refrigerator. Aging will take its toll much faster at high
temperatures. The high temperatures found in cars cause lithium-ion
batteries to degrade rapidly.
    * Lithium-ion batteries should never be depleted to empty (0%).
    * According to one book[7], lithium ion batteries should not be
frozen. Note that most lithium-ion battery electrolytes freeze at
approximately −40 °C, which is much colder than the lowest temperature
reached by most household freezers.
    * Li-ion batteries should be bought only when needed, because the
aging process begins as soon as the battery is manufactured.[3]
    * When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power
over extended periods, the battery can be removed and stored in a cool
place so that it is not affected by the heat produced by the
computer.[3] However, a notebook computer's battery prevents sudden
loss of the data in memory during power failures and voltage drops.
Reasonable alternatives are the use of an older lithium ion battery or
an external uninterruptible power supply.