[GRLUG] Notebook with ATI chip, dual-screens, XGL?

Benjamin Eavey ben at eavey.com
Fri Dec 15 16:36:48 EST 2006

> Bah.  I spoke too soon.  The dual-screen setup works great, but I took
> my laptop home last night and fired it up, only to discover that X
> wouldn't start.  I had to revert back to my old xorg.conf (single
> screen) before it would work.  Verified it this morning; the dual-head
> config works fine if the 2nd monitor is attached, but if I boot up
> without it, the LCD on the laptop remains blank and X fails to start.

Hello again.  Just in case anyone else is having this problem (although
it feels like I'm talking to myself), the new driver released today from
ATI fixes this issue.  Works great now.  I can use my laptop dual-screen
at work, and the same xorg.conf gives me a single usable display on the
laptop when the secondary monitor isn't connected.

New fglrx driver is version 8.32.5.

Thanks,

-Ben