[GRLUG] detecting cd insertion

David Pembrook david at pembrook.net
Tue Dec 12 14:21:43 EST 2006

I'm making a real basic media player with debian. Just to play music
through the stereo in the living room. I've got the ripping all set and
I can eject the cd when its done. The one thing I can't find an easy
solution for is detecting when I put a new cd in. I've got an old slot
load cdrom drive that would be perfect if I can figure this one out.

I've looked at ivman which looks like one way to do it. It won't compile
complaining about some xml lib. Its got an xml configuration I guess
from what I saw.

Oh and this is destined to be a closet computer. No monitor, no
keyboard, just a music player. X could be installed I guess, Kinda
overkill though. If I go that far, I'll just put mythtv in for the
pretty visuals on the tv while playing my music.

I'd like to keep it kiss, any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave