[GRLUG] Samba on Kubuntu

Ben Rousch brousch at orthicomp.com
Fri Aug 25 08:59:54 EDT 2006

Sorry to reply to my own reply, but I think I have the answer.

OK, so I gave swat a try on my Kubuntu machine and found a clue. At the end of the installation process, apt gave me the message:

Setting up swat (3.0.22-1ubuntu3.1) ...
--------- IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR XINETD USERS ----------
The following line will be added to your /etc/inetd.conf file:

swat\t\tstream\ttcp\tnowait.400\troot\t/usr/sbin/tcpd\t/usr/sbin/swat

If you are indeed using xinetd, you will have to convert the
above into /etc/xinetd.conf format, and add it manually. See
/usr/share/doc/xinetd/README.Debian for more information.

Now if you prefer to install using Adept, I think messages like that aren't exposed unless you click a drop-down or something, so it would be easy to miss.

I restarted xinetd and tried to go to http://localhost:901 and indeed it didn't work. I check the /etc/xinetd.conf and there was no swat entry. I checked /etc/xinetd.d and there was no swat file.

So I did a "sudo nano /etc/xinetd.d/swat" and inserted the following content (gleaned from the swat page in my previous email):

# default: off
#              to configure your Samba server. To use SWAT, \
#              connect to port 901 with your favorite web browser.
service swat
{
        port    = 901
        socket_type     = stream
        wait    = no
        only_from = localhost
        user    = root
        server  = /usr/sbin/swat
        log_on_failure  += USERID
        disable = no
}

A restart of xinetd and swat is now working!

Ben Rousch
Manager of Information Systems
Van Dam Iron Works
1813 Chicago Dr SW