[GRLUG] An ISP question

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 21:31:01 EDT 2006

As I mentioned once, about 5 years ago I had
wide open access - the full DOCSYS limit up
and down  - 800Kbps up,  9.8Mbps down ( I don't
know what happened to the other 0.2Mbps ).
I was using a 4 port Linksys router at the time.

I could download files from sites like gnu.org,
and get the full 9.8Mbps - I didn't rely on the
little software rate gizmos,  I timed the download
with a watch.  Basic stuff.  File-size/time = rate.

The point being that as I see it,  this is what it
means to have an X Mbps service.  I can download
a big file,  and X = file-size/time.  No gimmicks.
Same with uploads.

The problem seems to be that today I don't know
what Comcast means.   I might not even care 99%
of the time,  except that I am paying for,  in this
case,  an 8Mbps service.  I also know that 98%
of the population has no idea what FTP is,  and
that is the only time a person might actually be
aware of  what their rate really is.

I have tested my setup with and without the
router in place,  and also did some of the tests
that Dave Pembroke suggested - downloads
from the Redhat fedora sites.  I did get 7.2Mbps
or so,  making it clear that I can get within
shooting range of 8Mbps.

What does all this add up to?  Not much.  I'm
still convinced that some sites cap the the rate.
I don't particularly think that Comcast does.
And if I'm going to upload or download a lot of
files on a regular basis, mostly to my own
web hosting service,  I need to make up a
script so I can use parallel streams.

I have not contacted the web hosting to see
whether it is capping rates,  but will tonight.
( How's that for timing.... )

None of this even touches on network
and server loading,  but there's no obvious
way to measure that anyway.  If I get full
rates under any circumstances I can't
blame Comcast.

But when the next Comcast offer comes
around to upgrade my service yet again,
what to do?  Pay for a higher rate that runs
in a vacuum?  e.g., buy a 45Mbps service
but never get more than,  say 10Mbps?

    -Bob