[GRLUG] ATI, dual head, and mouse

Roberto Villarreal rvillarreal at mktec.com
Mon Aug 14 11:53:55 EDT 2006

While trying to get the binary ('fglrx') ATI driver to work on my laptop, I
somehow hosed the stock driver (it will only run at 640x480).  So I'm now
using the binary exclusively.  However, I just plugged in my secondary
monitor for the first time since I switched.  The configuration
(surprisingly) worked with no changes, but there is one thing that is screwy:
on the secondary monitor, my cursor changes from an arrow to a large (height
is about five lines of e-mail text tall) square with garbled lines in it.

This is probably related, but in single head configuration, I noticed that
sometimes my cursor would be 'underlined'... a very thin line would appear
under it.  Now that I think about it, the length and distance from the
pointer was about the exact dimension of the bottom edge of this 'box' on my
secondary monitor...  This glitch was tolerable (I could make it 'disappear'
by moving the mouse around the screen), but the square cursor must die!

Any ideas?  On the plus side, the upper left corner of the square corresponds
to the tip of the pointer... :-\

kernel: 2.6.16
Xorg: 7.0.22 (w/ xinerama)
ATI: 8.27.10 (latest and greatest)