[GRLUG] Cheap laser printer

Timothy Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 02:13:32 EDT 2006

Scott Zahn wrote:
> How is the energy usage?  My LaserJet 4 uses 30 watts in standby mode :(
> Also, post here the second you find out if your printer truly supports postscript.  I've
> been looking for a laser printer for my dad's machine and this model might fit the bill.

Ok, I've had the kill-a-watt hooked up to in for a day or so now.  The
Brother numbers (7w/70w/450w) are a little off...

When the machine's in sleep mode, mine draws between 4 and 5W.

When it heats up the fuser, mine draws ~1000W.  This happens about once
a minute during standby.

When it's printing, the 1000W draw happens about once every 5 or 10 seconds.

So the brother numbers are close, although they're averages.

--tim