[GRLUG] An ISP question

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 14:49:50 EDT 2006

I've played these games over the years.
When I lived in NJ four years ago,  our
ISP goofed,  and uncapped our service.
For many months we had the full DOCSYS
limit:   10Mbps down,  and 800 Kbps up.
I know this because I could upload large
files of known size to the ISP's customer
web space,  and coming down,  the gnu.org
site from MIT seemed to have no cap.  There
too I could download large packages of known
size,  and the speed was always in the 9.6
to 9.8 Mbps range.

Hog heaven until the ISP discovered its
mistake.  As I mentioned,  my web hosting
service might have its own upload limit -
I will check in to this.  But even gnu.org does
not seem to provide even 8Mbps rates any
more,  so testing high download rates is a
problem.

Or of course it could be Comcast,  as
mentioned in a previous note.  If so,  why
they would sell an 8Mbps service, and
cap it at a rate lower than that, would be
a story worth knowing about.  It could be
a mistake,  and it could be something else.

Others with Comcast might want to see
what they are actually getting.  Using
FTP,  a file of known size,  and a watch,
is the most fundamental way to do it.

Re 1.5Mbps T1,  having the symmetric
bandwidth has its own appeal.   Too bad T1
lines never really came down much in
price.  But then,  symmetric bandwidth is
always expensive,  no matter what it's
based on.

     -Bob