[GRLUG] Cheap laser printer

Timothy Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 02:01:07 EDT 2006

Szymon Machajewski wrote:
> Thanks for the info.  I'll take a look at one.

No problem.  Hardware shopping with a long list of requirements can be
difficult, especially when low cost is one of them.  I spent about 2
days deciding on a printer model to replace my aging (built in 1985!) HP
Laserjet IIISi and somewhat less aged and less capable HP Laserjet 6MP.

I've had the HL-2070N in my possession now for a few days. I've only
tested network printing using LPD queues over TCP/IP with the hl1250
driver at the highest supported resolution (1200x600 DPI).  The
combination works excellently, with essentially no setup (assigning an
IP to the printer, selecting the appropriate queue).  The printer claims
Postscript as well as PCL6 support as well, although I have yet to test it.

I've got a small pages up at:
http://narrow-band.net/index.php/Brother_HL-2070N_Laser_Printer to keep
notes on the printer.  It's linked to from the linuxprinting.org entry
as well.

So far, I'm really happy with it.  It's fast (although it doesn't seem
quite as fast as my IIISi - but it's really close).  The real-world
controls (4 LEDs and a single button) leave something to be desired, and
the web interface isn't the most intuitively constructed.  That said, it
has every feature I've ever needed in a laser printer and a whole lot
more (it can email error messages, groks mDNS, apparently has some
SNMP-ability, and a ton of tunable knobs like sleep time, etc).  It's a
great deal for the money.

Let me know if you have any questions.

--tim