[GRLUG] PHP fault tolerant web application

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 12:29:50 EDT 2006

On 8/2/06, Phillip_L._Hebenstreit at hud.gov
<Phillip_L._Hebenstreit at hud.gov> wrote:
>  Hi everyone,
>
>  Sorry, I'm awful at describing what I mean in an email, let me try again.
>
>  Could anyone give me tips on developing a PHP Web Application using Apache
> and MySQL. The PHP web application needs to be fault tolerant and my
> leanings are towards using Replication across 2 remotely separated Linux
> servers. So, the PHP application, the Apache httpd and the MySQL all need to
> be replicated and if a failure occurs the PHP application needs to respond
> to that event as smoothly as the MySQL and Apache do (hopefully).

Prewarning: I only got started with PHP this summer.  Expect a
layman's perspective.

mod_php is dependent on your Apache httpd.  So if your httpd goes
down, that instance of mod_php will go down.  Your MySQL is a
different story.  I don't know beans about replication as it applies
to MySQL, but what's to prevent your PHP script  from writing to both
DBs, but query from one?

>  I'm having trouble finding specifics on how to do this instead of a lot of
>  theory and debate.

If you're asking for tips, all you're going to get is theory.