[GRLUG] Broadband prices - selection

Eric Hartwell darth_linux at ameritech.net
Tue Apr 25 09:54:22 EDT 2006

On Monday 24 April 2006 23:55, Jim Becher wrote:
> All, I have not heard much on the list recently.  I was just interested in
> what everyone is paying for broadband.  I just switched from Comcast (~$45)
> per month over to AT&T DSL for $18 per month. And  3 months free  with
> proof of switching over from a cable modem connection.
>
> So far I have noticed a lower latency and about 2.5 Mbpsdown and 450kps up.
>  The upload speed is dramatically better with dsl.  I use a vpn connection
> back to my home for backup / email / and file sharing and the difference is
> amazing.
>
> I was very skeptical of DSL, after hearing some horror stories.   However I
> have not dropped a VOIP call or lost service in the last week.
>
> What has been your experiences with Broadband?

I had/have DSL and thought I'd switch to cable to save some money for a couple
of months. The deal the cable company had wasn't better than the regular
price DSL i had. The cable company's setup program (which was required to
configure the modem) was windows-only and intrusive to the system (at least,
it changed the title in IE to read IE - brought to you by <cable company>).
and it was slower if anything else.

in 4 years, DSL has but two outages that i've noticed and it's "fast enough"
for us.

long story short - kept DSL, ditched cable. yell at the commercials when
they're on. :-)

eah