[GRLUG] KDE question (google maps)

Dave Kedron protecterofmagic at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 21 20:13:31 EDT 2006

Hey Guys,

Just an update on the google maps issue...  Running the command Topher suggested -ProfileManager, I created a new Profile (which didn't have any extensions) and google maps loaded up just fine.  I went back to my old profile, and I tried disabling my extensions one-by-one (I had 11 total installed, and you have to restart firefox each time) so I was hoping to catch the extension which was causing google maps to fail... but, even after all 11 were disabled, google maps was still not loading.

I guess if I wanted to take it farther, *I could* go back to the new profile, and load my extensions one by one again, and then if I have google maps working + all my extensions, then I could just switch profiles permanently.  However -- I think I might just leave it like this, and I'll just use -ProfileManger to get into a new profile when I need to use googlemaps.  (It's a lot easier than rebooting into windows anyway).

Okay thanks for the help guys -- I will let you know if there are any other issues that come up.  My only question now, is where can I get a 'powered by linux' t-shirt for the gym?

-Dave Kedron

Topher <topher at wcsg.org> wrote: > I am running firefox 1.5.0.2 on Fedora Core 4.  So... does google maps
> work on your firefox in linux then?

Yes, it's always worked wonderfully.

> (BTW, I also tried disabling adblock, and I also have Noscript enabled
> for google, other than that, I don't know of any other extensions that
> might stop googlemaps from working).

Here are some things to try:

In a terminal window, start up firefox with this:
firefox -ProfileManager

and create a new profile.  The new one won't have any extensions at all.
See if maps works with that.  If it does, then I'd guess it's one of your
extensions.

Another thing you can try is opening up the Javascript Console (under the
Tools menu) and seeing what errors come out of the google page.

Topher
Manager of Internet Services
Cornerstone University Radio

------
"To scoff is...easy, but to go on in the way of scoffing and do what is right
is the way of a man."
                         -- Louis L'Amour, The Lonesome Gods