[GRLUG] KDE question (google maps)

Dave Kedron protecterofmagic at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 19:04:03 EDT 2006

Hey thanks guys for replying.  I guess I'll probably re-map Run to alt-r and keep firefox on ctrl-r  (I use refresh more than Run).

BTW, here is a screenshot of Google Maps in Firefox on my linux box.
http://sirfrummel.com/pictures/google_maps_broken.jpg

I am running firefox 1.5.0.2 on Fedora Core 4.  So... does google maps work on your firefox in linux then?

(BTW, I also tried disabling adblock, and I also have Noscript enabled for google, other than that, I don't know of any other extensions that might stop googlemaps from working).

Thanks.

- Dave Kedron

Topher <topher at wcsg.org> wrote: > Firstly I'd like to say that I'm strongly trying to switch to linux
> permantenly at home.  I was running linux straght for a whole week, and
> then I had to reboot into windows because Google Maps wouldn't load on
> Firefox in linux (yet it works in firefox on windows).

That's odd, I've never heard of it not working.  Could you tell us how it
doesn't work?  Blank page, error message?

> So my question:  Does anyone know of a way how I can do both ctrl-r to
> bring up a run dialog box, and also have it refresh firefox if that has
> focus?

Here's half an answer:  In The Old Days, browsers in Linux used alt-r to
reload, and I got used to that.  The alt key is closer to the r, and
therefore an easier combo.  So I changed my browser to do that.  In
Firefox, put about:config in the location bar, and then search for
keyconfig.main.key_reload I set the value to:  alt][R][ (which seems odd,
but it works).  Then restart Firefox, and alt-r is your refresh.

I got an extension for Firefox called KeyConfig which lets you reconfigure
just about any possible action in Firefox, that's been helpful as well.

Topher
Manager of Internet Services
Cornerstone University Radio

------
"...it has occurred to me that a man need know but two sentences to survive.
The first to ask for food, the second to tell a woman he loves her. If he
must dispense with one or the other, by all means let it be the first. For
surely, if you tell a woman you love her, she will feed you."
                         -- Louis L'Amour, The Walking Drum