[GRLUG] Suse10 - was Base to squadron...

Wed Nov 30 13:01:37 EST 2005

That you don't have to buy it was my point in that the "commercial" version
is the same as the "community" version. I've liked a few open source
projects well enough to throw some money their way. Without support of some
sort (labor or money) you won't see the growth. I spend my time on my
projects so labor is out.

In the case of Suse, they didn't need my single copy purchase but if
everyone downloaded it, you wouldn't find it on the shelf at Best Buy.
What's really needed at Best Buy are free live cd's, commercially packaged
like the aol cd's so they look attractive. Then the people tired of the
malware could try it and maybe find they like the alternative.

My daughter likes Suse cause of all the game installed with it. She's 8 and
she tinkers around with her setting as well in linux as she does in windows.
Thats what I want for a desktop op system. I want to use it, I want them to
be able to use it (without me) all without compiling. I save that for my
work and only when the binary isn't a match for what I need.  Yes, I love
apt-get and yum. They are your friend for dependancy hell.

-Dave