[GRLUG] Base to squadron...

Tue Nov 29 13:18:02 EST 2005

GRLUG general mailing list wrote:
> Sweet!! Another good ole fashion "My Gentoo is better than your Debian"
>
> Of course we all know that Debian is...... And real men do it with emerge.
>
> stay fun fun fellas.
>
> On a more serious note, and I may wish to begin another thread, I am
> teaching myself Perl.
> All is going well, but I would like some direction as to where I should
> begin and what types
> of projects would be most beneficial for a perl-noob.

Without a doubt, pick up the Perl Cookbook and the 'camel book'
(Programming Perl).  If you are serious about Perl, you will not regret
your purchase.  Also learn about CPAN; it is your friend.

Project-wise, I'd suggest starting with programs that manipulate text
files, which is its big strength (imho).  Take an apache log file and
write a perl program to pull out information that is useful and
interesting.  This exposes you to the perl regex engine and it's data
structures... once you have those under your belt, the rest is
relatively easy.

After this, wander over to sourceforge and find some perl projects or
look at the source for some of the CPAN packages.  You'll learn more
hardcore perl that way.

Best of luck to you!
Roberto