[GRLUG] "Cleanup and DeFrag"

Ron Lauzon rlauzon at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 05:43:54 EST 2005

Bill Creswell wrote:

> Does Linux have a cleanup/defrag equivalent that I should be
> performing to clear temp files, help performance?

The file systems that Linux uses doesn't need periodic defragging (well,
it's not supposed to need it).

Cleaning up of the temp files and such are usually taken care of with an
automatic process.  It varies on the distro.  Under Mandriva, there is a
/etc/cron.daily with a set of scripts in it.  The scripts in this
directory are executed once per day.  The scripts check security, clean
up temp files, throw out old log messages, etc.

--
Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
   Homepage: http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net/

   DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening

   "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
   audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
   sort of job." - Ann Coulter

Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
Running Mandriva Linux 2005LE