[GRLUG] Linksys router security setup

Ron Lauzon rlauzon at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 16:17:11 EST 2005

Bob Kline wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for the good tips.   It's sobering to see what
> replacing a few tens of feet of wire can get one in to.

Tell me about it.  I've been forced to learn alot more about networking
than I ever intended after setting my own up (and helping others set
their's up).

> But until I even get a wireless link set up I think I'll just relegate
> that
> piece of information to a factoid that others might find of interest.  It
> requires the need to be able to manipulate firmware with confidence,
> and I suspect the opportunity to fry the box for all practical purposes
> is ever lurking.

The only way I've ever fried a Linksys is by jiggling the power
connector.  I fried my wireless bridge not too long ago by doing that.

I've never had problems with doing a firmware upgrade to one of my
Linksys devices.

--
Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
   Homepage: http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net/

   DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening

   "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
   audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
   sort of job." - Ann Coulter

Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
Running Mandriva Linux 2005LE