[GRLUG] 1st Ubuntu install ever

networkman@triton.net networkman at triton.net
Sat Dec 10 01:14:00 EST 2005

Greets,

After some encouragement off-list, I decided to go ahead and try the
Unbuntu 5.10 install.  I downloaded the .iso and burned it to CD using my
Win2k/Nero software. No problems there.

Install to the target PC seemed to go okay - PC is a AMD Sempron 2400,
with onboard video/nic/snd, 256meg ram, 20 Gig HD floppy, and 32x CDrom.
I mostly chose the defaults or offered settings.

Boot for the first time had the resolution at 1600x1200 - managed to
figure out how to reset that after a few minutes(doh!), and then it wanted
to do some updates.. like 40meg of them, so I did those and rebooted.

Again, started up okay.  My whole point of installing Ubuntu was to use
the PC for a distributed computing project, so I needed to figure out to
download the client, uncompress it, and get it running; this part took me
better than 3 hours to figure out, with incessant cussing along the way.

However, I did finally figure out a way to get the client file I needed
thru Mozilla, get to a command-line so I could "sh" the file, and then get
it started via the GUI.  The key word here was "Terminal" - that took
forever to figure out.. I was looking for a shell or command prompt, or
console.. was tearing my hair out over that.

Long story short - it's working.  It's logged in, the DC project is going,
life is good.  Now if my hair will just grow back, I'll be happier. :P

Rich