[GRLUG] Debian

Roberto Villarreal rvillarreal at mktec.com
Wed Dec 7 14:00:29 EST 2005

JTR will probably have a 'more correct' response than this (as he seems
to be *the* Debian guru around these parts), but for me, if I want to
see what versions are available, I do 'apt-cache show [package]'... that
will show you the available versions.  To override what debian wants to
install for you, you can do 'apt-get install [package]/[state]'.  So if
you wanted the testing version of mysql, you could do 'apt-get install
mysql/testing'.  I know there is a way for your system to do this
automatically... I believe it's called "pinning".  I've never used it,
so I can't help you there.

Note, it isn't recommended to mix-n-match package states (i.e. putting
'unstable' package on a 'testing' system).  That said, I do it quite
frequently, and though it can be time-consuming and frustrating, I
always end up with everything I want.

Roberto