[GRLUG] Firewall Preferences?

Mon Dec 5 10:15:10 EST 2005

I've got a Fiery X3 print server I'm trying to convert into a firewall.
It's basically an embedded Pentium 2 system that takes a standard IDE
drive and DIMMs.

I've gotten Fedora running on it fine before, but I would like to try
getting one of the prepackaged firewall distros (Smoothwall, IPCop,
maybe m0n0wall) going on it.  The problem I'm running into is that
Smoothwall and IPCop require a video card to do the initial install
(which this device doesn't have), and the system is incompatible with
m0n0wall's bootloader (I've only gotten LILO to work on it).  So I need
to either a) find a way to install and config IPCop via serial cable or
b) replace the FreeBSD bootloader the m0n0wall image uses with LILO.
Any ideas on how either could be done?

If I can't get any of that going, does anyone have some reccomendations
for a nice web-based iptables frontend?  Thanks.

--
Jim Olding