[GRLUG] Linux class

Fri Dec 2 15:33:16 EST 2005

I could share a RedHat 4 DVD media or network install of RH4.

As you know RH is still an open source product and you can install it without license fees.

Sincerely,

Szymon Machajewski

Solutions Engineer / DBA
Grand Rapids Community College
http://www.grcc.edu/smachaje

"If we are to survive, we must have ideas, vision and courage.
 These things are rarely produced by committees.
 Everything that matters in our intellectual and moral life
 begins with an individual confronting his own mind and conscience
 in a room by himself."

     -- Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.

I have downloaded and attempted installs on 30 or so distros, till I settled
on some favorites:

-Ubuntu and SimplyMEPIS seem to work most often for me.
(Simply MEPIS has the fastest install I have seen)

-Slax and DSL seem to me the only usable live distros, speed wise.

-Knoppix along with the "Hacks" book would make interesting learning -
repairing windows and linux and more.

-Foresight LInux has the Mono Project for programming

-FC is not my favorite at all, but because it's cousin Redhat may be more
supported in business, it may be a practical learning experience. I would
love to hear how it goes, see your teaching outline, etc!

Bill

www.billcreswell.com - family news, notes and writings
http://grComputerWorks.blogspot.com - web and computer related topics
http://www.grcomputerworks.com